Thursday, September 25, 2008

Well, here goes

I've been mulling over Peg's idea of childhood memories. I am torn between my childhood and yours. I have so very many memories of your childhood that it would be difficult to single out one over another. I have shared six great childhoods that so full of memories.
Of course, I had a pretty great childhood myself. None of you were part of it though and can't relate to the impression it made on me. maybe the best thing is to start with my childhood and then balance it with some of yours. That being said, here is a vivid memory from my childhood.
First of all it was so long ago that I don't remember my exact age, but I was probably 9 or10 years old, or maybe a little older. My uncle Bill (Yes even I had one of those) took my brother and I to the old Philadelphia Arena at 45th and Market street. (It has long since been torn down.) We went to see "The Roy Rodgers Rodeo & Wild West Show". For those of you who don't remember the name, Roy Rodgers was a singing cowboy and the hero of all kids my age. The rodeo portion was just some roping, bronc riding and barrel racing . The biggest part of the show was a lot of horse pageantry and Roy himself showing of his horse Trigger and singing some cowboy songs. Of course he was joined by Dale Evans. During some of the pageantry portion of the show I had to use the rest room (Some thing never change) and as I was going across the aisle, there standing in the entrance was my hero, Roy himself!!!! Luckily I had my show program with me. Roy first waved to me, then shook my hand and then signed my program.
I was in awe! When I got back to my seat, I couldn't wait o show off my autograph. I was on cloud nine. Later in the show when he came into the arena (He was the final act). I had such a smile on my face I thought I would burst. I kept that program well into adulthood, but I have no idea where it ever got to.
For a little kid like me to meet and greet his hero in person was the dream of a lifetime and I can still picture Roy standing there checking on the progress of the show.
Perhaps in the future I'll give you a memory of your childhood.
Love

4 comments:

JP2E said...

"HAPPY TRAILS" Dad!!!
I know that must have been a real treat. Mainly because he was a real, live hero!
I like your story about the first streamliner street cars you saw with Uncle Bill...

Peggie said...

Great story!!! That beats Gene London and Happy the Clown any day!! Thank you for sharing that great memory with us. It's been so much fun to hear from everyone..... especially those who have memories that are "new" to me. Keep on digging into the archives and keeping us all entertained. I promise to write my "memory" soon. Love ya!!

Katie said...

That's AWESOME!! Meeting someone famous is always exciting no matter what age you are!! I'm with everyone else, I'd love to hear more memories as time goes on!! Love ya!! :)

Bill T said...

That reminds me of a good one, Who is the only person to play for the Phillys and Eagles the same season?.......Larry Ferarry.
( Fe was an local organ player of some fame for those of you who are to young.