Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Another blast from my past!

I have been giving Peg's challenge about childhood memories quite some thought. For this seion I think I will stay with my childhood rather than that of my children.
When I was in the second grade, my father went to Panama City Florida to work in a hosiery mill that my uncle Harry was apart owner. After my brother and I finished school for the year the rest of the family joined him. We were all members of the only Catholic Church in town. Since my aunt Marie was not Catholic, it fell upon uncle Harry to get his son 'Little Harry' to church every week. Now you must understand that my cousin Harry would do anything that would annoy people. In fact he had a nickname 'Itchy Britches'.
One Sunday at church, to keep Little Harry busy while the rest of us went to communion, uncle Harry gave him a rosary to examine. Things seemed to be going along as planned until we were coming back up the aisle. There was 'Itchy Britches standing in the pew with his hand in the air, twirling the rosary on one finger and shouting, "Hold on Jesus, Your going for a ride."
Uncle Harry left the church immediately with Little Harry on tow. We didn't see either of them the rest of the day, but I'll bet he got his hide tanned big time.
When we got home, my Mom cautioned us to never mention this event anyone. I have never forgotten the look of anger and frustration on Uncle Harry's face that day.
My next story will also be about my Uncle Harry, but that is for another rime.
Love.

5 comments:

Katie said...

That is pretty funny... Mostly because it was not me or my child. LoL. Thank you for sharing!! Keep 'em coming!! Love ya!! :)

CShore said...

Did anyone else picture little Jimmy Towhey doing something similar? I guess it runs in the family haha.

Mike 2e said...

I remember hearing the "hold on Jesus" story, but I was never sure who said it. Nice ti finally heat the whole truth.

Sue said...

I love that story! Keep 'em coming!
Children do create the best memories.

JP2E said...

The true identity of "Itchy Britches" has finally been confirmed!!!
And Chris is right;I really CAN imagine little Jimmy in the same situation...