Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dialoge in the Dark!

WOW!!!!! This is my initial reaction to my experience last night. Let me explain. There is an exhibit presently running in Atlanta called "Dialoge in the Dark". It is currently running in an area called Atlantic Station. When I first heard of it I thought it was something I would enjoying seeing. Last month Dennis and I were talking about it and he said he had free tickets if I wanted to go. Of coursse I said yes. I won't go into all the problems we had getting reservations for a time when all those going (Dennis, Kelly, her friend Josh, Tom and I ) could all make it. Last night was it. WOW!!!!
The exhibit takes into the world of a blind person. They give you a cane and some rudimentary instruction on how to use it, then take you, with a guide who is a blind person, in everyday places. places like a backyard, a park, several city streets and even a boat ride. You can't believe how lost you can be without sight. We had to tell the guide the different things we found on our journey. I never did find the house that Dennis found. He even found the address. While spending time in the park, only a few of the group found the great big tree. I never did, but Tom told me I was within inches of it. I was, however the first to fund a car parked in the street.
The last place was a cafe where we could buy refreshments and sit in a booth to talk with the blind guide about being blind.
It was it was an awesome and very humbling experience. I would love to see the exhibit with lights on to see just how much I missed.
Great night and good company.
Love.

4 comments:

CShore said...

That actually sounds really really neat! We have to do training all the time with our facepieces blacked out, but I never really thought about trying to walk around like that. Usually I am focused on whatever the goal is and getting back out haha. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Bill T said...

I would like to try that. Must give you new insight into being blind.

JP2E said...

If you never found the stuff how do you know it was there? They could have taken your money and left you in a storage shed full of junk. LOL
I actually think it sounds really cool...

Peggie said...

I hope that exhibit comes to Charlotte. I think Steve and I would really enjoy it. Sounds like a GREAT time!!

See you soon.

Love ya!!