Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Jim fights the mower and wins!!!

First off, let me say that I can now access the Google Reader. It seems that you cannot have both 'Internet Explorer' and 'Mozilla' trying to access the same files. I was using Internet Explorer without success. I am now on Mozilla and it works fine.(Boy am I confused.)
Now, about the mower! As I related in a previous blog, I wanted to cut my grass (read that as green weeds) before going on vacation. I got the front lawn done and when I went to the back yard, I hit a tree root and bent a blade.
At first I tried to figure out how to jack the mower up to get at the blades. This proved futile, so was resigned to remove the mower deck. This required laying on the hard garage floor and work at arms length under the mower. Each time I thought I had the deck loose, there was another connection I had to find and overcome. After finally freeing the deck I found that the blades were on real tight. Using chains to hold the blades fixed and a pipe to give more leverage, I got both blades off.
I replaced the blades and reassembled the deck to the tractor. All seemed in order until I went to cut the grass late in the afternoon. The drive belt for the blades just wouldn't stay on. I made an inspection and found that the pulley that tensions the belt was evidently damaged and needed replacing. Now that I was aching all over and completely frustrated, I decided that it would have to wait till I got back.
So yesterday I went at that mower nice and early. Since I already knew what coupled the deck to the tractor, it only took me about 15 minuets to get the deck free. The bolt holding the damaged pulley came loose real easy. I got a new one and had the machine assembled in no time. I was able to get the grass cut, all before noon.
I really feel good that I met the challange and came out on top.
Till next time.
Love.

5 comments:

Sue said...

WOW. Another winning performance and with a mower as the co-star and villian.

Peggie said...

I had faith in you. I know you're out of practice, but you've always had the know-how to fix anything. Glad you got your yard mowed and all is right with the world!! Love ya!

JP2E said...

NASCAR may be looking for a racing mower crew chief!! Apply now!
Next time, give me a call. I have a mini jack that can raise the mower and avoid the deck removal step.

CShore said...

Wow, chains AND a pipe... that was quite an undertaking. Glad to hear you settled it's hash though.

Bill T said...

What was the old song

"I Faught the lawn and the lawn won"