Saturday, June 20, 2009

A little late!

It's been a week since we returned from our trip to Helen, so I thought I better blog and fill you all in on the trip. I picked the ladies (Betty & Elanor) at the airport and we set out straight away for Helen. Thanks to the GPS, we made it there with no problem. We were a little disappointed that there were two flight of steps to get to our unit. This rural location in the mountains should have tipped me off, but the catalog never mentioned steps.Always the gentleman, I told the ladies to I would bring the four suitcases up. I made it in two trips, but was completely winded. It was at this point while I was sitting and trying o catch my breath, When Bill called. He seemed concerned that I was having a heart attack, he was close. The unit was comfortable, was not a luxury operation we have been getting at other resorts. There were several wall switches that did nothing. I'm pretty sure they originally did something. The living area seemed a little crowded so we decided to rearrange the furniture. This stuff was too big and too heavy to move. I mean even the coffee table wouldn't budge.
Helen has a General Store, but not a supermarket. We were sure that the General Store Was just a for show, tourist place. We drove into Cleveland, the next little town and stocked up on groceries. We also had to go to church In Cleveland.
We spent the week seeing the sights. Peg called to let us know that she would like to visit, of course we welcomed her with open arms. She spent one night with us on the sofa (we couldn't move the coffee table to open the sleeper sofa). We did some of the little town with her the next day and 'Baby Land General' to marvel at the birth of a Cabbage Patch Baby. Her visit was a very welcome interlude.
One of the days we visited the General Store and were pleasantly surprised to find it was really a very nice little market with fresh meat and produce. The prices were very much in line with the supermarket. They even made fresh sandwiches at the deli counter. We tried them for lunch one day and they were very good.
During the week, we visited several local wineries for some wine tasting I think the ladies really enjoyed that. Of course we had to buy some of the product.
All in all, it was a very good week and very restful for El. The Friday to Friday thing is what we like, but this was a tough year to find a spot.
Hope I don't take so long to blog next time.
Love.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Glad to hear that you and the ladies had a good time together!! I hope we hear from you again sometime soon!! Love ya! :)

CShore said...

Sounds like you folks had an absolute blast! I'm glad that the wine tasting went well for you too.

Peggie said...

I'm glad you all had a good time in Helen. Thanks for letting me crash on your sofa. It was fun for me to get to see the aunts and not have to try to talk over the boys for a change!!! I had a great time there....

You forgot to mention the seeing-eye pony in the grocery store!!!

Glad you're back. Talk to you soon.

Love ya!!

Sue said...

I want to hear about the "seeing-eye pony" maybe in your next blog!

I hope the next trip is without stairs.

It really sounded like a very good trip.