Saturday, June 27, 2009

An Addendum and More

My last blog was about our trip to Helen and to 'Babyland General'. I was reminded by Peg that I had forgotten a very unusual sight. While we were shopping at the Ingle's Supermarket in Cleveland, in the produce department I spotted a lady in a wheel chair who was evidently blind because she had a 'seeing eye' pony. The pony had a harness just like a seeing eye dog with a handle and all. She was holding on to the handle and being led by the pony. Now that is something you don't see everyday. But wait..... there is more! While we were in a shop that sold beautiful 'Dresden China', I noticed that the lady running the shop spoke with a German accent. Not being bashful, I asked if she was in fact from Germany. She confirmed that she was. I asked what part of Germany she was from, because I was stationed in a little town called Goeppingen. Her eyes widened and said that is the town she had lived in. Small world isn't it? I was there in 1951 & 1952, She left there in 1954. She had married a G. I.. I forgot to ask her who she married. It might well have been somebody I knew because ours has the only unit in that little town.
And now on to the present. My Father's Day was a big success. I either heard from or saw all of my children. I even had the pleasure of dinner with Jim & Sue on Monday evening.
Then came my Birthday. Another round of calls and visits from the children. I once again had the pleasure of a lovely dinner with Mike, Michelle & the girls at one of my favorite restaurants.
All in all, this summer, so far has been nothing but a real good time. So now I'll stop writing because my mind is going soft again. I know I forgot a lot and will hear from my Children. Love.

3 comments:

Katie said...

It IS a small world!! :)

Glad that your birthday and Father's day were successful!!

Love ya! :)

Peggie said...

I'm glad you wrote about the pony in the grocery store. That certainly was a sight to behold!! I'm glad I was there to witness it. I wish I had the capabilty to download photos from my phone, as I got a pretty good shot of the sight. Anyone interested just has to remember to ask when they see me and I'll be glad to share my photo!!

Glad your birthday and Father's Day were good. I can't wait to hear how the book is....

See you next weekend.

Love ya!!

Sue said...

We loved taking you and Nancy out to dinner!
The pony story is certainly fascinating!