Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I am honored Really!!!

The other day Jimmy calles and asked if I would like to attend the Veterans Da y event at his school. Of course I said I would be there. He then asked if I would wear my uniform. Of course that couldn't happen, mear fabric just can't last that long. I really think I could have fit into it, if it were still around.
We showed up and were ushered into the gym where chairs had been set up for the spectators and risers set up for the third grade students. They had programs made up and the classes were lined up so that one group wore red shirts, one group wore whit shirts and the last group had blue shirts.
They sang patriotic and military songs. Some of the students gave talks on the history of the flag and of Veterans day. We pledged allegiance to the flag. The ceremony was then topped off with each veteran there being called up and their student relative presented them with a lovely medal on a beautiful ribbon. The program ended wit the singing of 'God Bless America"
It was just a beautiful ceremony and I really felt honored. There were Veterans form WWII, Korea, Viet Nam as well some still on active duty.Most of them were in uniform.
What wonderful day and what a wonderful way for the third grade to show it's patriotism by honoring those who have served their country.
Love.

6 comments:

Peggie said...

How wonderful!!!! That was such a sweet thing. I know how honored you were. I wish I could have been there to cheer you and Jimmy on!!

Love ya!!

Bill T said...

That is awsome. It is also well deserved for you and all the vets. Thanks for what you did for us and the country. My frend Dan down plays his militery service becsuae he never saw combat. For every combat troop it takes 5 others to suport them. All are so importent.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

JP2E said...

What a great honor. Thanks again for helping make the nation safe for all of us...

CShore said...

Glad to hear you had such a great time. Thanks for doing what you did so that I didn't have to!

Also, happy anniversary!!

Sue said...

Oh, how I wish Jim and I could have been there to see such a wonderful tribute. We are so happy to have you honored in such a special way and to have Jimmy there is extra special. He is such a great kid and he surely knows what is important in life. I am so happy that he is attending a good school with people who are patriotic.

Victoria said...

That is such an honor! How wonderful that the respect is still around and appreciation. Hugs to you, Nan and Jimmy!